It all started in the City of Joy, when the everyday mundane dining experience failed to draw enough footfalls. It was then when patrons thought of offering something new to the food lovers. The idea behind this lies in offering an unique ambiance to the customers in addition to an excellent gamut of food palette. As a food connoisseur, you can always enjoy a day-out in any of these restaurants and this write-up can be a hands on guide to your dine-out plan based on your mood.
1. The Pirates Deck–Sarat Bose Road – If you are a lover of adventure and Captain Jack sparrow is someone whom you hero worship, then Pirate’s Deck is one such place which you cannot afford to miss. It is a theme-based cafe, which is transformed fully into a ship. Each and every aspect of the restaurant looks like a pirates’s den, starting from the steel skulls, the antique guns, the route maps, the weapons to the barrels. Though the joint is strictly vegetarian but it is a paradise for pizza and garlic bread lovers. The hookah served here is also of good quality.
2. Macchan – This beautiful done up restaurant had its base in Kakurganchi. It welcomes you to a new land of forest amidst a wide array of flora and fauna with whistling sounds of fountains and rivers. It is a welcome change to food lovers who wants to enjoy a meal around the mystic beauty of a forest. The place boasts of its menu which brings to your palette the forgotten recipes of Jangalmahal, Doars, Gir and Ranthampore recipes along with north Indian delicacies. If you have a penchant for forest dining then this is a must try for you.
3. Biker’s Cafe – Spread across the posh areas of Elgin Road, this cafe is for people who love adventure and is a die hard bike fan.The name itself suggests that it is all about bikes and riders. Apart from its cool ambiance, it is also having a section for the kid’s where they can have the time of their day by playing video games and parents can enjoy a sumptuous spread. The cuisine is also a relief from regular chinese and Indian. You can relish some good American and European platter while sipping on some cool virgin coconut mojito. The added advantage is that you can get to listen some good Beatles numbers while dining.
4. The Kaidi Kitchen – Wanna have some out of the world dining experience? Then Kaidi Kitchen is your place to drop in? This veg-restaurant is designed typically like a prison or a cell. To establish the theme or the feel the waiters here serves food in typical kaidi outfit and the captains dressed as jailor. If you are a real fan of authentic North Indian food, this is a must visit for you.
5. Fly Kouzina – Have not yet experienced your flight. Not to worry. Kolkata has the alternate option for this also. Fly Kouzina in Saltlake, is built in the module of a flight wherein you can have the pleasures of dining in a plane. Though the restaurant is strictly vegetarian but it has to offer an international menu. It starts with an automated gate opening system. The aisle, the seats and the windows resembles an authentic airline. They have screens on every window and videos that resemble a moving plane. The ‘desi-videsi’ jugalbandi and the vegetable kebab platter are the highlights for a foodie.
6. The Royal Bengal Tiger Cafe – The cafe has opened with a noble cause. It aims at the increasing awareness against the big cats of West Bengal. The walls of the cafe is adorned with paintings and decor of tigers which will give you a royal feeling as you enter and have food here. You can also gain a whole lot of information about these cats from the paintings. Food is above average. The bengali snacks like mutton kabiraji, egg devil and others are quite a hit in this cafe.
So, whether you are new in Kolkata or you are tired of visiting the same old destinations this blog will surely help you out on your food hopping spree.